As human beings, we crave excitement, adventure, and thrill. If you want to enrich your life with some adventures and new experiences, one of the best ways to do it is through outdoor traveling. Outdoor travel offers a lot of varied and unique opportunities to make travel on your own way. When traveling, you are putting yourselves in various circumstances and situations you have never been before. Thus, you’re opening up to new experiences and possibilities.
On the other side, this activity covers up different inconveniences and it is quite easy to get into trouble, especially if you travel alone in new surroundings. That’s why you should bear in mind the following tips and ideas while traveling.
1. Choose the appropriate travel clothing
If you have never traveled outdoor, you are probably wondering what clothes to wear on your upcoming trip. When traveling, it is always good to pack several lightweight clothing items which are appropriate for every kind of adventure — from wilderness exploring to city touring. Here’s what you need to look for:
- Performance fabrics – It is very important to choose the clothing that is made from the breathable fabrics that dry quickly and are easy to care.
- Wrinkle resistance – You should look for travel clothing that is wrinkle resistant. Of course, no clothing is 100% wrinkle-free, but it should be wrinkle resistant as much as possible.
- Neutral colors – Another thing you should take into account when it comes to the travel clothing is its color. Ditch the bright colors. Instead, you need to select black, brown, and khaki clothing (especially for skirts, pants, and shorts), as these colors coordinate very well with most of the outdoor environments.
- Subtle styling – Avoid very short skirts and shorts, as well as tight clothing because these might not be appropriate for some venues and cultures. Instead, you should wear clothing that will make you less conspicuous.
- Sun protection: Sun protective clothing contain an ultraviolet protection factor that can protect you from both UVB and UVA rays.
- Pockets: Choose clothes with lots of inner and external pockets, which are suitable for passport, money, sunglasses, cell phone, or other small items. Zippered pockets offer better security than button closures. You can also incorporate hidden pockets.
2. Get outside and explore the great outdoors
Outdoor traveling involves a broad range of adventurous activities that are supposed to get done outdoors. You need to explore the great outdoors instead of spending time during your travel in a theater or museum. No matter where you’re going to travel, the options are endless. For example, some people like hiking through the steep rocks, while others opt for the guided outdoor tours or picnics in an open field. There are also a variety of specific high-adventure activities, such as rappelling, whitewater rafting, or scuba diving. In any case, you shall get outside during most of your travel time and find the activities that suit you best.
3. Where to sleep: Hotel vs tent
Besides food and money, lodging for the night is the major issue for outdoor travelers. When looking for an accommodation during your trip, there are two main options — hotel and tent. If you want to feel more comfortable and if money is not an issue for you, a hotel lodging is likely to be your logical choice. Hotel offers a range of accommodations, such as shower, bed, air conditioning, television, and so on. On the other hand, camping is a lot more fun, less expensive, and it brings a wide variety of adventure experiences. After all, camping is more in accordance with outdoor traveling than a hotel lodging. If you want to experience nature and be outside all the time while you travel, camping is a right thing for you. Of course, it has lots of disadvantages (no toilet, no electricity, bugs, etc.), but when you properly prepare for a camping trip, that could be as relaxing and restful as a stay in a hotel.
Credit: R.E Barber Photography
4. Travel gears, camera and other travel tech accessories
It goes without saying you should carry with you basic travel gears like a backpack, travel clothing and footwear, toiletry kit, towel (packable), sleeping bag, lamp, knife, basic cutlery, water bottle, sunglasses, etc. Each traveler has different requirements and his/her particular travel style while being on the road, but you should endeavor to bring only the necessities. Anyway, your travel gear should be comfortable, functional, and multi-purpose.
Today, outdoor traveling without a camera and mobile phone is almost unimaginable. As for the camera, make sure your camera is “armed” with a lot of megapixels in order to take clear photos. Choosing a camera for travel photography is not the same as choosing a high-quality professional camera for things like portrait photography, wedding photography, and the like. However, your go-to camera must still meet the certain shooting performance criteria and to be lightweight as well. Fortunately, there is a wide range of travel-friendly cameras today, including compact digital cameras (point & shoot), mirror-less interchangeable-lens cameras, digital SLR cameras, and all-in-one zoom cameras.
In addition to cell phone and camera, you might also need some of the following travel tech accessories:
- Multi-purpose travel router
- Power strip
- High-capacity external battery
- Battery case
- Selfie stick
- Noise-cancelling headphones/earphones
- Waterproof phone case
- Luggage tracker
- Kindle paper-white
- Bluetooth speaker
- WiFi Antenna
Credit: Zorah Olivia
5. Travel apps to track your trip
If you belong to the “social media generation,” you will likely want to track your trip everywhere you travel. There are a number of travel apps which serve to log your adventures while traveling and share your journey with pictures, videos, blogs, and other social updates. Thus, you make travel memories with your family and/or friends, as well as recommend travel spots to others. Just to mention a few most popular travel apps:
- Google Maps Engine
- Hema Explorer
- Off Exploring
Keep in mind that most of these apps require iOS or Android platforms, so make sure to carry an appropriate cell phone if you are not going to use a tablet or notebook.
Apart from these ideas and tips, there are also many other things you should take into consideration when traveling, which vary depending on the particular journey and your own needs. However, one thing is common for any type of outdoor traveling – it gives you the chance to explore the great outdoors while enjoying self-indulgence fully. With a common sense for this activity and a proper preparation, you can get the most out of your trip.